In 2013, the state railway companies of Azerbaijan and Georgia signed an agreement to increase the competitiveness of rail compared to the truck and to attract freight flows from/to Europe, Turkey, Middle East and China. The project „CONTAINER TRAIN POTI-BAKU“ was established to create a cost effective and fast rail route, connecting Europe and China.
Since the 15-th July 2014, the container train with the name „Silk-Train“ runs from the Georgian port of Poti and arrives in Baku, capital of Azerbaijan, within just 34 hours.
Our subsidiary InterModTrans GmbH, with headquarters in Friedrichsdorf/Germany, is the official operator of the container train „Silk-Train“. Together with InterModTrans GmbH the RTSB maintains an office in Tbilisi/Georgia. Our on-site staff is well-informed about the customs rules in the railway freight forwarding and has the necessary knowledge of the characteristics of the transit-traffic on the Georgian-Azerbaijani border.
Formation of trains at Poti container terminal:
• Maximum number of containers: ca. 50 FEU (Forty-foot Equivalent Unit)
• Maximum number of flat cars: 25 / max. tensile load 1,900 t
• Use of MPS wagons as required
Roundtrip route Poti 57220 – Baku 54700 (Kishly):
• Via Georgia: 400 km
• Via Azerbaijan: 503 km
Transit time 34 hours for a blocktrain with a least 20 wagons:
• Including all control and handling procedures at border stations in
Gardabani (Georgia) and Beyuk-Kisyak (Azerbaijan)
Tracking & Tracing:
• Two times a day by email or by logging in to the company website of RTSB GmbH – www.rtsb.de
• Rail freight projects
• Block train operations
• Container freight quotation
• Packing & repacking
• Customs clearance
• Financial guarantees
• Terminal handling services
• Security and insurance for goods
• Document management, SMGS preparation